In the 26-criteria evaluation of continuous delivery and release automation (CDRA) providers, we identified the 15 most significant — Atlassian, CA technologies, Chef Software, Clarive, CloudBees, electric Cloud, Flexagon, Hewlett packard enterprise (Hpe), IBM, Micro Focus, Microsoft, puppet, Red Hat, VMware, and Xebialabs — and researched, analyzed, and scored them. We focused on core features, including modeling, deploying, managing, governing, and visualizing pipelines, and on each vendor’s ability to match a strategy to these features. this report helps infrastructure and operations (I&o) professionals make the right choice when looking for CDRA solutions for their development and operations (Devops) automation.
If you’re new to Puppet on Windows, one of the first things you’ll want to do is start managing users and groups. In this webinar, we’ll demonstrate how to manage both local groups and Active Directory membership. The demo will include:
- Managing administrator accounts
- Managing local groups
- Setting up a domain controller
- Managing Active Directory membership
Puppet can do a lot, but we always recommend starting small and building on your success. Managing users and groups is a great way to get started. Make 2016 the year you banish manual configuration for good!
After you set up your users and groups, the next thing you’ll want to do is configure the software running on your machines. In this webinar, you’ll get a taste of the many kinds of services and packages Puppet can manage on Windows. We’ll present some common use cases that will help you get some quick wins under your belt, including:
- Managing Windows services (Windows Time, Disk Defragmenter, etc.)
- Installing packages
- Managing Windows maintenance tasks via WMI by executing arbitrary PowerShell code
- Creating scheduled tasks in the Task Manager
Puppet can do a lot, but we always recommend starting small and building on your success. Make 2016 the year you banish manual configuration for good!
System administrators and other IT practitioners spend as much as 50% of their time on routine, repetitive tasks. Does the following apply to your organization?
• You go from one server to the next, installing the same package on all of them. It works nine times out of 10, but the tenth time causes a failure ... and you can't identify what went wrong.
• You can't scale. When the business wants to move to the cloud, or asks for faster provisioning of development and test environments, you only have so many hours in the day — and you can't meet everyone's needs.
• You don't have time to get to the work that matters. You spend too much time on routine system management, and can't prepare for the projects that will bring real business value to your team — and customers.
With growing demands from all corners of your organization, you simply can't keep doing it all manually. Download this paper to learn how you can benefit from automation, and how IT infrastructure can become a strategic ass
DevOps cuts deep and wide through industries, company sizes, and technology environments. Yet, DevOps is never done — it’s about continual learning and improvement rather than an end state.
Puppet is here to help. We draw on the success stories and lessons learned at organizations that are already driving improved performance and better business outcomes with their DevOps initiatives.
This handbook captures five essential phases for mapping out a DevOps journey:
1. Build the business case for DevOps.
2. Address the biggest challenges to DevOps success.
3. Develop a performance-driven team structure.
4. Choose the right Tools and processes.
5. Plan your key implementation phases.
Configuration management can play an incredibly important role in IT security due to its basis in establishing and maintaining a known and consistent state of the physical and software elements at your organization’s disposal.
This white paper explores how to leverage configuration management to bolster security and meet compliance regulations. Uncover some of the key benefits, including:
• Creation of a Standard Operating Environment (SOE)
• Reporting on and control of configuration drift
• Enhanced change remediation
• Insight into configuration knowledge
• And more
There’s a lot of misinformation about DevOps out there — causing some organizations to mistrust the benefits of DevOps practices.
It’s time to debunk the common myths, and get on a path to collaborating more effectively and delivering better software, faster.
Download the ebook to disprove these common DevOps myths:
• Myth 1: There’s no direct customer/business value for adopting DevOps.
• Myth 2: There’s no significant ROI in applying DevOps to legacy apps.
• Myth 3: There’s not enough time to implement DevOps.
• And more!
If you work in IT, you can’t escape the buzz about containers. Containers are a lightweight way of building and deploying applications as a set of composable microservices that abstract away the underlying infrastructure.
As containers and microservices become more mainstream, you need to understand the path to adoption, and which tools come into play.
Download this guide to get an introduction to containers, explore their value, and see how configuration management applies to containers. We also discuss how to:
• Adopt and scale containers faster.
• Move existing services to containers.
• Eliminate the friction between development, QA, and production environments.
Have you started moving to the cloud? Nearly 70 percent of organizations have at least one application living in the cloud already, and cloud adoption is growing fast. That's because organizations recognize the cloud is a great way to make IT more agile and helpful to the business.
Download Cloud-Scale Automation with Puppet, and learn how you can ease the transition to cloud, gaining the agility your organization needs without adding hours of management time or unnecessary risk. You really can use cloud infrastructure as easily as you use on-prem, and keep it as secure as on-prem, too.
You’ll learn how to:
• Automate your cloud resources and manage infrastructure at scale.
• Get started with Puppet on both Linux and Windows machines.
• Make Puppet the foundation of your DevOps efforts, regardless of where you choose to deploy.
If you’re managing an IT team, you may be turning to DevOps as the path to faster delivery of software.
DevOps can help your team become more efficient — and your organization more competitive — but you’ll need to be able to communicate to your team why things are changing, and how their usual working practices are likely to alter.
Download this guide to explore:
• How to align DevOps with your organization’s goals.
• What change might look like — for operations, development and the organization at large.
• Why security is a great icebreaker.
• The importance of focusing on the team over individual DevOps specialists.
• How to embrace agile ways of working, along with infrastructure as code, code review, continuous integration and unit testing.
This July 2015 Forrester Report explores:
- Why consistent, automated DevOps processes are essential to closing vulnerabilities and limiting exposure.
- Practices, such as infrastructure as code and automated provisioning, for closing holes as soon as patches are available.
- How DevOps and security professionals can work together to adopt DevSecOps.
At Puppet, we've been looking at the state of DevOps practices for several years and helping organizations achieve higher levels of efficiency.
We’ve learned a lot about the impact of DevOps at varying stages of IT automation maturity.
As DevOps has moved from theory to implementation for more organizations, a host of DevOps myths have blocked adoption in many organizations.
This publication debunks these myths so your organization can automate, innovate, and get ahead.
Download this publication, featuring research from Gartner, to discover:
- Why DevOps is applicable to legacy environments, traditional enterprises and hierarchical organizations.
- Practices that underpin DevOps, from version control to automated testing to infrastructure as code.
- How companies like Walmart, Staples, Ambit Energy and Infusionsoft have embraced DevOps and IT automation.
The fifth annual State of DevOps Report, presented by Puppet and DevOps Research & Assessment (DORA), confirms and highlights the fact that achieving higher IT and organizational performance is a team effort spanning development and operations — and it’s an investment that can deliver powerful returns.
This year’s report shows how DevOps speeds up delivery, improves quality and security, enhances employee engagement and more.
Download the report to learn why:
• High-performing IT organization experience 200x more frequent deployments and 24x recovery from failures.
• High performers spend 22 percent less time on unplanned work and 29 percent more time on new work, such as features or code.
• Taking an experimental approach to product development improves IT performance.
The report also helps you understand the ROI of DevOps, and includes formulas to quantify your potential cost savings, using metrics from you own organization.
Ultimately, it is up to you and your organization to determine how your version of the cloud works. Whether you are migrating to the cloud, managing the cloud, or fine-tuning and optimizing, your success still depends on raising and answering a lot of questions.
This ebook shows you some real-world stories from Puppet customers using the cloud for development and testing environments, internal private clouds, native cloud applications, and hybrid cloud deployments. We'll explain the benefits to look forward to — like portability, flexibility, saved time and cut costs — and the potential pitfalls to avoid.
Download this ebook to learn the pitfalls to avoid, and some real-world successes in the cloud from companies like Wells Fargo, 1-800 Flowers, and HP.
Our guide is based on survey findings and research gathered over five years from more than 25,000 IT professionals around the world. We've also drawn on the experiences of several people from the 32,000-plus organizations using Puppet (including two-thirds of the Fortune 100). There's no bigger study of successful IT organizations and what they're doing right. Learn from the experience of others, and keep your organization out ahead of your competitors.
Information technology is racing ahead with a Moore’s law-like inexorability and compounding rate. While it’s impossible to know what’s next, it's possible to get out of reactive mode and get ahead of the game. And that doesn’t mean simply focusing on practices like DevOps or technologies like cloud adoption and container stack selection.
Published By: MuleSoft
Published Date: Jul 06, 2017
DevOps has become not only trendy, but an important rethink of the IT culture at many organizations. And with good reason
the benefits to adopting DevOps are well-documented. A recent study, conducted by Utah State University and sponsored
by Puppet Labs, revealed that DevOps practices can boost IT performance and ultimately improve a business’s bottom line.
Published By: New Relic
Published Date: Jun 05, 2014
Configuration management (CM) tools like Puppet and Chef are really useful for keeping your systems in line, but what about your infrastructure? The Really Awesome New Cisco confIg Differ—or RANCID for short—is the first step in tackling this problem.
Download to learn more!
This paper explores the move away from Web Operations 1.0 - mired in legacy tools, outdated approaches, and low expectations - and into Web Operations 2.0 where tools and procedures are built from the ground up for highly efficient, reliable, and agile operations.
Published By: Unitrends
Published Date: Dec 07, 2009
Backup, despite the breathless hyperbole of many in the industry, is simply a form of insurance. What's important about your backup strategy is getting your systems and data protected in the most effective and affordable manner possible. Speaking plainly - you must be careful that you are in control of your backup strategy rather than your backup strategy (and vendor) being in control of you.
Our recorded Windows webinar series covers all the basics and more to help you get started with Puppet. Each 45-minute recording focuses on a specific task you can automate with Puppet, as well as a demo of how it works.
You’ll learn how to use automation to:
• Manage local groups and Active Directory membership.
• Manage Windows services, install packages and create scheduled tasks.
• Deploy IIS and ASP.NET.
• Set up Windows for system and application monitoring.
• Get started on Azure with Puppet.
Puppet can do a lot, so start small and build on each success. Enjoy the demos!